Tuesday 14 June 2011

My Healthy Eating Plan

After a life time of yo-yo dieting, spending the past year burying my head in the sand over my ever increasing waistline I decided enough was enough and I had to make a total life time change and start a healthy eating programme the whole family could enjoy.

My father died of a sudden mass heart attack 9 years ago it was a massive shock and I can't bear the thought of my children growing up without me. My five year old asked me why I was fat and not thin like her child-minder, she went on to tell me she will look like her child-minder when she is older not me.

You would think with a body building gym fanatic for a husband I would be obsessed with my appearance.

When I went to my doctor I just told her how I felt and she asked if I had ever followed the healthy eating plate. I looked at her and explained that I deliver weaning to new mum's and knew what I should eat but it is easier said than done.

My doctor gave me a booklet from the British Heart Foundation called So you want to lose weight ... For Good


After looking through the booklet and talking about the way it works I said I would give it a go. I now see the doctor every 4 weeks for a weigh in.

What I can eat

8 or more portions of fruit or veg a day. including fresh fruit juice/ tinned fruit in own juice etc.
8 portions of carbs a day e.g bread, rice, potato, cereal, pasta etc.
3 portions of milk or dairy e.g 1/3 pint semi or skimmed milk, low fat yog, cottage cheese etc.
3 non dairy protein portions e.g meat, fish, eggs and beans
3 portions spreading fats, sauces, oils and dressings
200 calorie High fat, high sugar, alcohol
7 or more glasses of water

All of the above is per day or you could build your 200 calorie a day treat for a weekend take away or drinking night out.

You should eat Breakfast, Lunch and Tea with healthy snacks.

My typical Day

Breakfast:- 2 Weetabix with a sliced banana and some of my skimmed milk, glass of water.

mid-morning:- coffee, fruit.

Lunch:- Tuna Salad, glass of water.

mid-afternoon:- glass of water.

Evening meal:- Chicken, prawn or beef stir fry with a glass of water.

Super:- Big bowl of fruit with half fat fromage frais/ natural yoghurt.

If I want something nice I have a breakaway as they only 99 calories and a solid biscuit.

A friend of mine at work designed me a tracker sheet




Tonight I made a beef stir fry, which I used lean beef strips, peppers, mushrooms, cabbage etc. My sporty runner friend introduced me to these stir fry sauces


They only have a trace of fat and taste lovely.



I would like to say this is my husbands portion not mine lol. I have to admit I struggle to eat 8 carbs so I sometimes have toast on an evening. As well as my new Healthy eating I have also started swimming and I have also joined the lovely Liska and other blog hop members of MUMenTUM everyone is so friendly, if you have not checked out some of the ladies blogs yet pop over and have a look.

1 comment:

  1. ooh that looks yummy! I really think joining momentum may work for me too. I'm really struggling to get rid of my lazy weight.
    Look forward to hearing about your weight loss journey
    xxx

    ReplyDelete